Making Sense of Psalm 149

I don't know about anyone else, but I have often had questions about Psalm 149 and its relation to present day Catholicism and revelation. I have recited it quite frequently when I have done modern Liturgy of Hours, and I finally found a point clarifying and expounding the psalm, so I thought I would share it.


Psalms 149:6

Douay RheimsHaydock Commentary
6 The high praise of God shall be in their mouth: and two-edged swords in their hands:Hands. He seems to allude to the regulation of Nehemias, (2 Esd. iv. 17. H.) or to the Machabees, who were priests and soldiers. They shall proclaim God's praises, and defend the nation. In the spiritual sense, Catholics employ the two-edged sword of the Old and New Testament against heretics, and exercise the power of Christ in excommunicating the wicked. S. Jer. --- Our Saviour enables the saints to judge at the last day. Matt. xix. 28. C. --- This chiefly regards such as have left all things, like the apostles, and those who embrace a monastic life. Matt. iv. 20. and xix. 27. Acts iv. 34. and 1 Cor. vi. 3. --- They shall judge whether people have made good or bad use of their possessions. S. Aug. Ven. Bede. --- All the blessed will approve of God's sentence; and their example in overcoming difficulties, will evince the baseness of the wicked, who have yielded to less temptations. W.
I think it quite interesting to see Psalm 149 in this light. Makes a lot more sense to me, as I knew it was not be interpreted literally and people were not to be put to the sword and that left me with striving to understand the passage in keeping the with the Church, which seems to be accomplished with the Haydock Commentary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying In Latin

A Self-Righteous Pharisee Complaining

I will be returning soon