A Self-Righteous Pharisee Complaining

Life is quite amusing. It becomes all the more hilarious when people use terms and words which they don't truly comprehend. For example, pharisee. Yes, that is right, pharisee. I had the privilege of someone, in not so many words, say that I sound like a pharisee; however, this person does not know me and the discussion, which was transpiring on a mutual friend's Facebook page, was about Eucharistic reception on the tongue and hand.


My friend, who shall remain nameless, shared an experience that occurred and his feelings about Eucharistic reception, and of course, a discussion ensued. The reason the discussion progressed to a degree was due to the fact that we cannot receive the Eucharist on our tongue. This has been a diocese wide declaration due to H1N1; however, I made my opinion known that I felt this wrong not only because of the recent letter [you can see the letter here: http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2009/11/it-is-not-licit-to-deny-communion-on.html] that has been released by The Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, but also because Redemptionis Sacramentum has said that reception on the tongue is always licit. For those comments I was labelled as pharisee. Interesting don't you think?


What is even more interesting is the fact that the pharisees were not condemned for declaring the law of God, but for not following it. Nevertheless, according to some, quoting Roman Documents makes you a pharisee. Still, this was all somewhat amusing to me, as according to writer, I have to consider the bigger picture. So, I replied:

"The bigger insight or picture...the fact is that some people wish to adhere to side of tradition, which is allowed, and feel even more than merely receiving Christ upon our tongue that we should be kneeling upon reception. The fact that the Eucharist is the body of Christ and deserves the highest reverence. 
If that is what it means to be a pharisee by definition, then I shall be one.
Further, if following the edicts of Rome makes one a Pharisee, then I shall be one, as I am loyal the Vicar of Christ. Thanks."

As you can possibly imagine, this wasn't received well either. For this comment, I was told to beware of self-righteousness. Funny! I would rather have had him come out and say that he thinks that I am being self-righteous, instead of hiding it behind a fake warning. Further, why is it in the modern day when one talks about reverence upon their knees in reference the Eucharist that people react in this fashion? In my opinion, we are lucky we don't have to crawl the entirety of the floor to the Eucharist because of our unworthiness. What is wrong with a little humility? What is wrong with recognizing our place before the Almighty, the Creator of the Universe, Jesus Christ?

I will not lie. I sat and contemplated what he wrote, and this was my response:

"There are dangers if one perceives one's self to be better than others, but it is quite a different matter if one is seeking to humble themselves out of fear, reverence, and humility.
I for one know that I am not better than anyone. I am a sinner. I know it and if I thought myself better than anyone, I would be a fool."
It honestly did hurt my feeling to be outrightly characterized in a derogatory fashion, especially because I hadn't done it to anyone during the whole context of the conversation. What disturbs me even more is that many do not understand where I am coming from. In Singapore, there is no Tridentine Mass offered, except by the SSPX, and due to the current situation between the society and Rome, I cannot attend Mass there. FSSP occasionally comes to Singapore to hold Mass, but they have no fraternities established here. In other words, there is no recourse for someone who has a love for tradition, and now Eucharistic reception upon the tongue is gone. What is a self-righteous pharisee to do?  LOL.

Pax tecum.

Comments

Andrea said…
A priest from the Institute of Christ the King says the Tridentine Mass for us once a week. He had a wonderful sermon this past Sunday about the Eucharist. He talked of how people should act if they truly believe that Jesus Christ is present in the host. He talked of each particle of the host being the body of Christ and how, when distributing Communion to parishioners on the tongue, afterwards he often finds small particles that have fallen onto the gold paten. Pieces of Our Lord Jesus Christ. He then told us to think of how receiving on the hand would leave particles of our Lord possibly on our hands or clothes. A much more careless method. He said we know not how often sacrilege occurs against our Lord during Communion. The proper treatment of Our Lord of course comes before any "threat" of earthly sickness (in reference to the H1N1 hype). He didn't back away from helping the sick because he was afraid He might catch something!!!

I have been accused of false piety for kneeling for Communion, by none other than a dean of priests. But we know what Our Lord deserves and I've come to the realization that if we are NOT being persecuted, we might be doing something wrong!

Also, I don't think it would be wrong to attend the SSPX Mass, especially if that is your only option. The excommunication has been lifted. Take a look at their website and you will find they are in no way schismatic. Although I wouldn't consider myself part of the SSPX group (we're all Catholics, no?), I really admire their stance.

Best wishes to you and yours!
Unknown said…
I sometimes wish everyone knelt down at our parish. I have recieved on my hands my whole life, and since starting my confirmation class I have considered recieving on the tongue. I have debated with myself back and fourth. Then I say to myself in mass we say "Lord I am not worthy to recieve you, but only say the word and I shall be healed." I try to examine if this also makes me worthy to recieve the body of Christ on my hand, and the debate is still not setteled. So as my big bro would tell me if something stays on my mind like that, than it is there for a reason. I think I will recieve on my tongue this sunday!
Andrea, thank you for your comments. As always, they contain great insight and valid points.

I think I will have to consider my next step very carefully. I won't lie. I am completely lost at this point in time. I think I will spend the rest of the week praying and fasting to gain better clarity.

-Thank you for the warm wishes. I wish you and yours all the best as well. God bless you.-
John, I am happy to hear that you have begun to contemplate the true presence of Christ in the Eucharist and that is has brought you to greater reverence.

Remember to pray that Christ be always respected, especially in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Eucharist and that people always treat him with the greatest reverence.

Pax tecum.
Anonymous said…
I refuse to take the host unless it is put on my tongue by the priest. The host represents the body of Christ and I believe it should not be held by a layperson's hand!
Pharisee Killer said…
Not sure how I ended up here but I was intrigued by this post. I don't understand what the "tongue" issue is but I will stop by wikipedia next.

The pharisee name calling is almost always used inappropriately. But I also think most believers/followers/Christians eventually act like a Pharisee. I believe we have created a Pharisee mentality. In that we are self absorbed sinners. But thankfully this mentality can be killed.

- The Pharisee Killer

Popular posts from this blog

Praying In Latin

I will be returning soon

Condoms made for 12 year olds. Sad day.