Turning a Blind Eye Doesn't Mean Apathy

Today was a hard day for me, but it wasn't because of my job or anything of that nature; rather, it was from disappointment. Perhaps I am being a bit judgemental, but there are some things that people shouldn't turn their eyes away from. I believe it to be a travesty to see someone being bullied or teased and to sit idly by and let it happen, especially if the person is mentally challenged.

My day was tedious, as most days are, but I didn't quite feel the bite until the end of the day. I happened to being walking through the heart of town, and little did I know that my back pack was wide open. Now, I take particular issue with this, as I normally stop people on my way to and from work who have their bags wide open, but as I travelled no one stopped me. I reached City Hall and even went into a supermarket, but still no one uttered a word. It wasn't until I went into the MRT (subway) that I noticed my bag was wide open. I was so disheartened that no one just took a moment to say "Hey, your bag is open!" Then, what can I say? I guess I just expected better.

I got on the train and began my journey home. My ride wasn't too bad because the front and back cars are never too packed on the line I take. I tried to make my ride more enjoyable by texting my wife, who was coming to the end of her work day, but as my ride continued, I saw a young man being harassed. Now, I have seen this young man on occasion before and he is mentally challenged. He doesn't seem to be a bad fellow, as I have taken the time to talk with him in the past, but to my dismay a small group of teenagers (about 16 or 17 years old) were harassing him. They kept poking him with an umbrella and laughing about it, and talking amongst themselves. As this is taking place, the young man is looking around and getting agitated and obviously getting more and more defensive in his posture, but he didn't exactly know how to react to this.

At the same time as this harassment is taking place, I watch the passengers of the car. Some of the passengers play dumb and pretend they don't see anything, the rest seem to acknowledge that they see it, but choose not to do anything. Needless to say, I was utterly disgusted. I wasn't the closest to all this, but I was close enough to see clearly what was going on, so I got up and reproached the boys who were tormenting him. As I did this, I could see passengers look at me, surprised that I had gotten up to do this, but what else should I have done? Are we not to respect our fellow man and respect their dignity?

I remained with the young man for the rest of the ride, and it happens that we get off at the same stop so everything worked out brilliantly. In fact, that was one of the things that I reminded him of when I was trying to calm him down. Once I started to talk to him and the boys left him alone, he was put at ease, but I still cannot understand how a multitude of people can watch someone be harassed like that and not say word.

Are people that self absorbed these days? All I have to say is if you see someone being bullied or harassed, place yourself in their shoes and then think if action is necessary. If it were you, the answer would probably change from a response of inaction and apathy to one of great moral courage and concern, and if that is the case, extend that response to your fellow brother, as they deserve nothing less.

Pax tecum.

Comments

Nick Chui said…
Hi Louis

You did the right thing. Bravo! Yes its sad when people can just simply adopt a couldn't care less attitude. This is the Church militant in action and God knows that this is the right way to be church militant!

Popular posts from this blog

Praying In Latin

A Self-Righteous Pharisee Complaining

I will be returning soon