The Easter Vigil (RCIA)

The church slowly began to illuminate, as Christ, the light of our lives, spread His flame to each one of our candles and our hearts. It was truly a special night for me. I say this not only because it was the Easter vigil, but because I was to watch the elect whom I had travelled with become full members of the Catholic Church.

It was truly awe inspiring to watch Lent come to a close and to have suffered and prayed with Jesus for 40 days, but what was more remarkable was the arduous journey these new initiates had to take. It had truly been a leap of faith. There were so many people all coming from different backgrounds, but they all had one thing in common; they had chosen to accept Christ in their lives and journey to become members of the Catholic Church. I had watched them struggle to understand so many different aspects of the faith, strive forward to learn to pray with confidence and truly become different people. This journey was remarkable, as it taught me more and more about perseverance and dedication through love, for they truly love Christ to have persevered through the many obstacles put before them.

It was such a blessing to see the culmination of so much work and effort come to such a great beginning as some were baptized, and all confirmed. What was even more remarkable was the sight of their eyes filled with love and joy as they turned and faced the congregation. This, I think, was the moment that most touched my heart because I could see some of their eyes well up with tears and I could feel mine do the same. It was with an open heart that I could now truly welcome them, for they have always been my brothers and sisters; however, it was now that I could officially welcome them as my brothers and sisters in Christ. I could think of no way better to culminate the Easter experience than spreading the joy of Christ to others and bringing them truly into His ranks.

It is with a grateful heart that I thank God for spreading that flame that illuminates Church to each one of our hearts and hope that we will all continue to persevere and spread the good news throughout the world.

Dominus Vobiscum.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great post! Happy Easter! ~Ocean_blue~

Popular posts from this blog

Praying In Latin

A Self-Righteous Pharisee Complaining

I will be returning soon