Knocking My Head



As my week comes towards its close and I have my catechism lesson draws near, I am once again bashing my head against the wall. I am not doing it because I do not have a lesson plan. On the contrary, I know exactly what I am teaching my kids. We are continuing our lessons regarding the development of the Bible (Thank God for videos). After last week’s lesson, they seemed to have had their eyes opened in being exposed to how the Bible was compiled and the difficulty that existed in sorting the numerous gnostic works which were around from legitimate works. Many, in my opinion, had not understood that fact that preaching pre-dated the writing of the books of the New Testament and that there was no Bible as we know it for many of the early Christians. But, I am digressing.
 
Knocking my head…

In the last two years, there has been a change in the Catechetical syllabus; or rather there is an attempt to create an Archdiocesan syllabus. I think this is a good thing, but it is still not expected for another year, so with the best of intentions I have had lots of ideas thrown my way from those appointed over me, especially what seems like a commandment: “Thou shalt not lecture”. This is all fine and great, but if one is going to teach aspects of biblical history, I think a bit of lecturing is necessary. If a Catechist…oh wait…I am no longer a Catechist… They now refer to us as Stewards of the Word! So anyway… If a Catechist is going to lead the students to an understanding about the Church’s historical developments or doctrinal points, it is sometimes necessary to lecture a bit. That is the reality. As a catechist, I have to help to impart not only the faith to those who under my charge, but the tools to defend it. I have to allow them to get the tools to defend that faith; I have to help them to also become apologists. Essentially, when those who are with me become confirmed, they are considered mature members of the Catholic Church, and while they do not need to know everything, they are expected to share the word, speak the word, and defend the word. 

 
So…What am I griping about? Well, as I teach my students it becomes apparent that I have lots to teach them, but not only about doctrine, history, and faith, but also in basic forms of prayer. There is such a vastness of prayers, devotions, etc. that they have been denied. They are not even aware they exist. There were quite a number who had not been to Eucharistic Adoration before the catechists made them go. I feel on a regular basis that I am fighting an uphill battle not just against the culture, but at times other catechists’ perceptions. Believe it or not, lecturing or using lecturing techniques is not always a bad thing.
 
I do admit that I do not fit the mold of what many Catechist are today, who use para-liturgy to help teach their students. I accept that point. However, I come from a different background where people do not care about feelings but want proof and while I do some activities which are nice and enjoyable; ultimately, my jobs is foster the students’ faith and to protect it, and for people of my demeanor, their methods would have had me walking out the door. I would have been completely disinterested, and there are a lot of students in my class who I see that are like me. They are the no nonsense; don’t waste my time with B.S. type. They want proof and I give it to them. They want to see the Church has the answers, and I will show them that it indeed does. I will continue to make my lesson interesting and engage them and throw questions at them, and why not? That is the way life is. Everyone questions you about what you believe and we must be ready to supply them answers for the joy in our lives (1 Peter 3:15)
 
I guess my closing point, lots of activities are nice and we can add many things to class. We can call it a prayer space or you can change my title or anything else, but it is nothing but newspeak. The children know better. I know better, and the bottom line… all these changes mean very little when I encounter youths who do not know how to reverence the Eucharist, the necessity of Confession; how to examine their conscience; why we celebrate the Mass; the True Presence; or even how to say the Rosary. I will focus on settling such things first, and then I will look toward innovation. Right now, my task is to help them to understand the Church’s role in the formation of the Bible and its authority in its interpretation, and the role of tradition in our understanding of Christianity, and from this move to the Mass (Now the Mass will be quite a bit of work).

Oh...to clear things up, despite what people may think...I am a catechist. I teach catechism, not steward of the wordism. I understand the idea that we have to make room for Christ, and that is why they want to change the name; however, changing the name does not make that change nor alter the mindset of the individual, and teaching catechism means that Christ should be our center and our voice. Nevertheless, it is an erroneous position to think that one can alter our fallen human nature, or our disposition toward pride or any number of defects by altering our name.

 

CATECHIST

In general, one who teaches the essentials of Christian faith and morals. The term also has the technical meaning of one who gives instruction in Catholic doctrine, especially in mission lands or among people who are not baptized or who are dechristianized. As one of the supernatural charisms of knowledge, it is the special gift of being able to teach the faith with extraordinary effectiveness.
[http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/dictionary/]





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying In Latin

I will be returning soon

Condoms made for 12 year olds. Sad day.