A Universal Prayer for All Things Necessary To Salvation

I have desired to write for quite some time; however, I have been quite ill lately. Therefore, I have decided not to write as I usually do, but to share something.

I have a prayerbook, Key of Heaven, which I use on a daily basis. My particular version was published in 1909, but this is not what is important. I wish to share one the devout prayers that are included in the book.

Under the Devout Prayer section, there is a prayer entitled: A Universal Prayer for All Things Necessary To Salvation. This prayer has been attributed to Pope Clement XI, and it is this prayer that I wish to share.

O my God, I believe in Thee; do Thou strenghen my faith. All my hopes are in Thee; do Thou secure them. I love thee with my whole heart: teach me to love Thee more and more. I am sorry that I have offended Thee; do Thou increase my sorrow.

I adore Thee as my first beginning. I aspire after Thee as my last end. I give Thee thanks as my constant benefactor. I call upon Thee as my sovereign protector.

Vouchsafe, O my God, to conduct me by Thy wisdom, to restrain me by Thy justice, to comfort me by Thy mercy, to defend me by Thy power.

To Thee I desire to consecrate all my thoughts, words, actions and sufferings; that henceforward I may think of Thee, speak of Thee, willingly refer all my actions to Thy greater glory, and suffer willingly whatever Thou shalt appoint.

Lord, I desire that in all things Thy will may be done, because it is Thy will, and in the manner Thou willest.

I beg of Thee to enlighten my understanding, to inflame my will, purify my body, and to sanctify my soul.

Give me strength, O my God, to expiate my offences, to overcome my temptations, to subdue my passions, and acquire the virtues proper for my state.

Fill my heart with a tender affection for Thy goodness, a hatred for my faults, a love my neighbor, and contempt for the world.

Let me always remember to be submissive to my superiors, condescending to my inferiors, faithful to my friends, and charitable to my enemies.

Assist me to overcome sensuality by mortification, avarice by alms-deeds, anger by meekness, and tepidity by devotion.

O my God, make me prudent in my undertakings, courageous in dangers, patients in afflictions, and humble in prosperity.

Grant that I may ever be attentive at my prayers, temperate at my meals, diligent in my employments, and constant in my resolutions.

Let my conscience be ever upright and pure, my exterior modest, my conversation edifying, and my comportment regular.

Assist me, that I may continually labour to overcome nature, to correspond with Thy grace, to keep Thy commandments, and to work out my salvation.

Discover to me the nothingness of this world, the greatness of heaven, the shortness of time, and the length of eternity.

Grant that I may prepare for death; that I may fear Thy judgements; that I may escape hell, and in the end, obtain heaven, through the merits of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Amen.

I know when I read this prayer by Pope Clement XI, I am reminded of how to strive toward the Christian way of life. I hope by sharing it that it may strengthen and inspire others. I truly believe that if one embraces the words in this prayer that they will find a virtuous and pure life, centered on God and bound for heaven.

Pax tecum.

Comments

PH said…
It does seem to cover most things, and I can see how regularly praying this would keep one very mindful of the important things.

Naturally I've never seen it (I have this experience all the time). Thanks for posting it. And welcome to St. Blogs.
Thank you for the warm welcome to St. Blogs =)

Popular posts from this blog

Praying In Latin

I will be returning soon

Condoms made for 12 year olds. Sad day.