A Charitable Response

-This was written as a response and was only included in the blog because it holds some valid points on the discussion of sin and methodology of daily living. It was not originally intended to be posted.-



When you posed the question to me, mainly referring to my direction in life, the nature of sinful behavior and acceptance of such matters, you inadvertently questioned much more. However, the questions you posed seemed almost rhetorical, as you did not seem genuine in seeking response; rather, you had already made up your mind before we began our conversation. Therefore, I will elaborate on my method of thinking and show that it is not some concoction of my creation; in contrast, it is a method of thinking which has been formed through a great amount of writing and study of the saints, popes, philosophers and the Bible.

To begin to understand me, you must understand the way in which I live. I follow a great number of the teachings of St. Josemaría Escrivá, which teach people to consecrate every small action, daily action to God. My constant devotion to the work of God is done considering the following:


“ The non serviam of Satan has been too fruitful. Don't you feel the generous urge to express your daily desire for prayer and work with a serviam — l will serve you, I will be faithful! — which will surpass in fruitfulness that cry of revolt?”[1]

Every day, I awaken and I look to my God and how I may serve him and not the world, as we are all called to be in the world, but not of it. With that in mind, I will march forward and I will speak what is true. Just because the world has found it more profitable to answer with the “non serviam”, the I will not serve, does not mean that I should therefore relinquish my struggle. At the end of the day, I must be faithful, and I also must heed the words that no person goes to heaven or hell alone, but is led there by others. I want to help lead people to heaven.


As our conversation continued, you question me about sin. You exact words were “what damage does it do to anyone else if a person sins; for example, not going to church on Sunday or being promiscuous?” I will most certainly expand on these sins; however, I think the more important question to answer is: what is sin? “Sin is the turning away from God, our true end, and the fixing of the affections on something forbidden by the law of God."[2] Therefore, all sin is damaging. Even without considering the ramifications of sinful acts on persons beside the sinner in question, sin damages the person and his soul. It is because of this very reason that Christians are called to speak out against sin and be “charitable”. The word charity or caritas in Latin is often misunderstood in English. It means to give of oneself completely, without malice or deceit, a love for one's neighbor. Our love and entire being as Christians is supposed to be devoted to God and his Divine will. If we follow this method of thinking, we would be quick to divert ourselves from sin and strive constantly to lead others away as well. We would always strive to be charitable, and would not compromise with the world. We, in essence, should not fear to offend people, but fear God. “Fear Him that can destroy both soul and body in to Hell” (Mt. 10:28). It is many times that fear of God, of judgement and of Hell that will help us to persevere in good, but it is all for not if you do not understand what a sin is, but once we do understand sin, we should flee from it.


Dietrich Von Hildebrand, a great philosopher of the 20th century, wrote about sinful actions. In his book Transformation in Christ: On the Christian Attitude, he writes that “we should part with everything sinful and opposed to God”, but he continues to clarify how to become better Christians by stating: “we [should] also discriminate against everything that, without being actually sinful, is out of accord with the world of Christ or apt to diver us from God”.[3] In summary, Von Hildebrand makes it very clear when he states: “The Christian who insists on confronting everything with God will keep away from these things also. He will only take an interest in things which can stand the test before the face of Christ and do not lead him away from God even in a merely formal sense, be fettering him to peripheral concerns”. [4]

Taking into consideration Fr. Laux’s description of sin from his book on moral theology and Von Hildebrand’s description of the Christian approach to sin, we can truly understand that sin is inherently damaging to the person and must be rebuffed or in minimal fashion addressed or prayed for. There is also a further consideration to be noted and that would be that all sin damages people beyond the sphere of the sinner because all sins and all sinful ideologies extend beyond the scope of the individual and will in turn affect those whom they interact with. Every action carries with it a consequence. As mentioned earlier, no one goes to Heaven or Hell alone, but is led there by others. Following this ideology, I take the following quote into regular consideration:


"Your neighbor may be wicked, but that is no reason for hating him. In such a case imitate the example of a wise physician, who loves his patient, but hates his disease. We must abhor sin , which is the work of man, but we must always love our neighbor, who is the work of God. Never say in your heart: "What is my neighbor to me? I owe him nothing. We are bound by no ties of blood or interest. He has never done me a favor, but has probably injured me." Reflect rather on the benefits which God unceasingly bestows upon you, and remember that all He asks in return is that you be charitable and generous, not to Him, for He has no need of you or your possessions, but to your neighbor, whom He has recommended to your love.”[5]

To further understand my logic, you must take into account the writings of Pope Leo XIII and Pope Pius IX, which have had a very profound impact upon my formation. Both of these great popes spoke of the perseverance of the Church and Her flock through the upcoming era of materialism and modernism. Pope Leo XIII spoke explicitly on the errors of modernism, relativism and nihilism. I adamantly reject all these errors and encourage all to do the same. You can find his warning in his encyclical “On the Evils of Modern Society”. In addition, popes have spoken about the error of indifferentism. This error can be theoretical or practical and maintains that man can follow whatever religion he wants because all are proved true or all are proved false, either way it is of no consequence. This is one of the greatest errors of the modern era and is considered apostasy for one who is of the Christian faith to adhere to this belief.[6] However, modern society would have you believe indifferentism as truth.

I hope you can now understand why I do fight as I do and why I cannot relinquish my belief for even a moment. The universal truth, the Catholic truth, is a way of life and that which Jesus died for. The scope of everything expands beyond me and is in reference to my service towards Him. People may reject Him out of free will, but I will give them the opportunity to reject. At least they will have the opportunity to see truth and not always be in darkness. Just remember, “in the light of faith, sin is hateful and the greatest of all evils.”[7]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] St. Josemaría Escrivá, The Way, 413. Retrieved from: http://www.escrivaworks.org/book/the_way-point-413.htm

[2] Laux, J., (1990), Catholic Morality: A Course in Religion Book III. Illinois: Tan Books and Publishers, Inc., p. 40

[3] Von Hildebrand, D., (1990), Transformation in Christ: On the Christian Attitude. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, p. 92. 

[4] Von Hildebrand, D., Ibid., p. 93.

[5] Venerable Louis of Granada, O.P., The Sinners Guide, Translated into English in 1883. Public domain file.

[6] Laux, J., Ibid., p. 57.

[7] Laux, J., Ibid., p. 42.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Praying In Latin

A Self-Righteous Pharisee Complaining

I will be returning soon