Giving Witness

Over the past two days I have had the privilege of visiting Mt. Alvernia Hospital. To be quite honest, I have mixed feelings about hospitals. I don't necessarily enjoy them, as I have been a patient many times, but at the same time they are always a constant reminder to me that my problems are never as bad as they seem. However, Mt. Alvernia is an exception to my normal feelings. Mt. Alvernia, being a Catholic hospital, is a place where I normally feel quite at home. I can pray and not get awkward stares and I enjoy visiting the chapel and being before the blessed tabernacle...Anyhow, I should get back to the story.

My most recent visit to the hospital has nothing to do with my actual health, but that of a close family member. She happens not to be a Catholic, but holds a respect for the religion and those who practice it. While visiting my aunt I happened to meet an elderly lady and it is she whom I wish to talk about. She and I happened only to talk via my aunt's translations, as she spoke Teochew and I was speaking in English.

Through our conversation, I found out that this woman was a Catholic and was there because of kidney failure. The details of her life did not seem that positive; nevertheless, she seemed very upbeat. As the conversation drew on, my aunt turned to me and said that the woman had been encouraging her to read the bible. I found it utterly amazing that woman, so up in age and ill, still with great fervor attempted to reach out and share the word of Christ with someone of another religion and in such a compassionate form.

This woman, whose emotions and actions struck me deeply even without words, moved me and I had to have the question posed to her if she would like me to pray the rosary for her? With an emphatic smile she nodded her head. I moved to the other side of the room and began to pray and she with great respect bowed her head. I prayed the rosary and as I did so some of her family entered her portion of the room. They too blessed themselves and bowed their heads, despite not being able to understand my words. When I finished praying, she thanked me with nice smile as did her family. Shortly after this, she began to talk to my aunt again and told her that she would be discharged shortly, but would come back to visit her. I was stunned. This woman who would have to undergo dialysis and was so up in her years would still journey back to visit my aunt whom she had only just met a day earlier. Before she left, she passed my aunt her number and told her that she wanted to stay in contact and talked a bit more to God to her before leaving.

I sat with my aunt and my other family members after that and we spoke and discussed other issues, but in the back of my mind I was still utterly stunned by the old woman who had given witness in the midst of her hardship. I know that I took a great lesson from this and it has inspired me to do more for my fellow brother and sister. Perhaps we can all take a lesson from her and apply her witness to our daily life.

Dominus Vobiscum.

-On a personal note: my aunt has come out of surgery today and is recovering. Please keep her in your prayers.-

Comments

John said…
This is a truly inspirational story. I am glad that you shared this. I'm certain the gratitude she holds for your prayers is immeasurable!
elena said…
This is truly an amazing and inspiring story which demonstrates "the power of prayer"

Popular posts from this blog

Praying In Latin

A Self-Righteous Pharisee Complaining

I will be returning soon